Professor of Law
Prior to joining Florida Coastal as a full-time faculty member, Professor Ponte taught legal studies and business ethics at Bentley College and the McCallum Graduate School of Business and the University of Central Florida. Professor Ponte practiced law as in-house counsel for technology firms and governmental agencies in Boston, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C. She has negotiated complex commercial agreements and handled a broad range of internal legal matters. She is a member of the state of Massachusetts, United States District Court (MA), and United States Court of Appeals (1st Circuit) bars.
- Intellectual Property (IP) and IP Licensing
- Alternative and Online Dispute Resolution (ADR/ODR)
- New England School of Law, J.D., Cum Laude
- New England Law Review - Case & Note Editor
- University of Massachusetts - Boston, B.A., Summa Cum Laude
- Certificate in Mediation (MA)
- Contracts I
- Contracts II
- Cyber Law
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Licensing
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Business Associations
- MICHAEL B. KELLY & LUCILLE M. PONTE, CONTRACT LAW IN FOCUS (Wolters Kluwer 2017).
- LUCILLE M. PONTE & THOMAS D. CAVENAGH, CYBERJUSTICE: ONLINE DISPUTE RESOLUTION FOR E-COMMERCE (Prentice Hall 2005).
- LUCILLE M. PONTE & THOMAS D. CAVENAGH, ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION IN BUSINESS (West Educational Publishing 1999).
- Protecting Brand Image or Gaming the System? Consumer 'Gag' Contracts in an Age of Crowdsourced Ratings and Reviews 7 WM. & MARY BUS. L. REV. 59 (2016).
- Mad Men Posing as Ordinary Consumers: The Essential Role of Self-Regulation and Industry Ethics in Decreasing Deceptive Online Consumer Ratings and Reviews, Fourth Annual Intellectual Property Symposium, IP Rights, Ownership and Identity in Social Media, 12 J. MARSHALL REV. OF INTELL. PROP. L. 462 (2013).
- Leveling Up to Immersive Dispute Resolution (IDR): A Call for 3-D Virtual Worlds to Employ Key IDR Skills Acquired in These Unique Environments to Resolve In-World Conflicts, Ben J. Altheimer Paper Symposium, eConflicts Resolved: Evaluations of Legal Solutions to Information-Age Conflicts, 34 U. ARK. LITTLE ROCK L. REV. 713 (2012).
- Getting a Bad Rap? Unconscionability in Clickwrap Dispute Resolution Clauses and a Proposal for Improving the Quality of These Online Consumer "Products", 26 OHIO ST. J. ON DISP. RESOL. 119 (2011).
- Echoes of the Sumptuary Impulse: Considering the Threads of Social Identity, Economic Protectionism, and Public Morality in the Proposed Design Piracy Prohibition Act, 12 VAND. J. ENT. & TECH. L. 45 (2009).
- Preserving Creativity from Endless Digital Exploitation: Has the Time Come for the New Concept of Copyright Dilution?, 15 B.U. J. OF SCI. & TECH. L. 34 (2009).
- Coming Attractions: Opportunities and Challenges in Thwarting Global Movie Piracy, 45 AM. BUS. L. J. 331 (2008). (peer review)
- A Just Measure of Forgiveness: Reforming Occupational Licensing Regulations for Ex-Offenders Using BFOQ Analysis, 30 LAW & POL’Y 46-72 (JAN. 2008) (with Karol Lucken, PhD). (blind peer review)
- Gender Performance over Job Performance: Body Art Work Rules and the Continuing Subordination of the Feminine, 14 DUKE J. OF GENDER L. & POL’Y 319 (2007) (with Jennifer L. Gillan, PhD).
- Protecting Moral Rights in the United States and the United Kingdom: Challenges and Opportunities under the U.K.’s New Performances Regulations, 24 B.U. INT’L L. J. 213 (2006) (with R. Bird, JD, University of Connecticut).
- From Our Family to Yours: Rethinking the “Beneficial Family” and Marriage-centric Corporate Benefit Programs, 14 COLUMBIA J. OF GENDER & L. 1 (2005) (lead article with Jennifer L. Gillan, PhD, Bentley College & McCallum Graduate School of Business).
- Victims of Gender Discrimination or Disgruntled Employees? The Evolving Role of Candid E-Mails in Gender Disparate Treatment Cases, 19 WIS. WOMEN’S L. J. 47 (Spring 2004).
- The Michigan Cyber Court: A Bold Experiment in the Development of the First Public Virtual Courthouse, 4 N.C. J. L. & TECH. 51 (Fall 2002).
- Broadening Traditional ADR Notions of Disclosure: Special Considerations for Posting Conflict Resolution Policies and Programs on E-Business Web Sites, 17 OHIO ST. J. ON DISP. RES. 321 (Spring 2002).
- Boosting Consumer Confidence in E-Business: Recommendations for Establishing Fair and Effective Dispute Resolution Programs for B2C Online Transactions, 12 ALBANY L. J. OF SCI. & TECH. 441 (Spring 2002).
- Throwing Bad Money after Bad: Can Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) Really Deliver the Goods for the Unhappy Internet Shopper?, 3 TUL. J. OF TECH. & INTELL. PROP. 55 (Spring 2001).
- Reassessing the Australian Adversarial System: An Overview of Issues in Court Reform and ADR Practice in the Land Down Under, 27 SYRACUSE J. OF INT’L L. & COMM. 335 (Summer 2000).
- Resolving an Information Technology Dispute After NAFTA: A Practical Comparison of Domestic and International Arbitration, 7 TULANE INT’L AND COMP. L. J. 43 (with E. Brown, JD, Boston College) (Spring 1999).
- In the Shadow of Gilmer: How Post-Gilmer Legal Challenges to Pre-Dispute Arbitration Agreements Point the Way Towards Greater Fairness in Employment Arbitration, 12 OHIO ST. J. ON DISP. RES. 359 (1997).
- United States v. Virginia - Reinforcing Archaic Stereotypes About Women in the Military Under the Flawed Guise of Educational Diversity, 7 HASTINGS WOMEN’S L. J. 1 (Winter 1996) (lead article).
- Putting Mandatory Summary Jury Trial Back on the Docket: Recommendations on the Exercise of Judicial Authority, 63 FORDHAM L. REV. 1069 (March 1995).
- AIDS Anxiety in the Workplace: A Review of Labor Arbitration Awards, 23 SW. U. L. REV. 253 (1994).
- Guilt by Association in U.S. Products Liability Cases: Are the EC and Japan Likely to Develop Similar Cause-In-Fact Approaches to Defendant Identification?, 15 LOYOLA OF L.A. INT’L. & COMP. L. J. 629 (April 1993).
- Waldie Answered: Equal Protection and the Admissions of Women into Military Colleges and Academies, 25 N. E. L. REV. 1137 (1991).
- National Peer Review Articles (blind peer review) Coming Attractions: Opportunities and Challenges in Thwarting Global Movie Piracy, 45 AM. BUS. L. J. 331 (2008).
- The Emperor Has No Clothes: How Digital Sampling Infringement Cases Are Exposing Weaknesses in Traditional Copyright Law and the Need for Substantive Statutory Reform, 43 A.B.L.J 515 (2006).
- Comment, Rostker v. Goldberg: Upholding All-Male Draft Registration Plans, 18 N. E. L. REV. 239 (1982) (student-authored law review article).
- Coming Attractions: Opportunities and Challenges in Thwarting Global Movie Piracy, 45 AM. BUS. L. J. 331 (2008).
- The Emperor Has No Clothes: How Digital Sampling Infringement Cases Are Exposing Weaknesses in Traditional Copyright Law and the Need for Substantive Statutory Reform, 43 A.B.L.J. 515 (2006).
- Embracing Different Learning Styles and Promoting Student-Centered Learning through an Online Dispute Resolution Simulation: The Case of the Unhappy Sports Fan, 23 J. LEGAL STUD. EDUC. 169 (2006). 2006 Hoeber Memorial Award, Outstanding Article in the Journal of Legal Studies Education (SoTL).
- Troubled Times at Upturn Records: Getting Traditional Legal Concepts to Dance to the New Online Beat, 22 J. LEGAL STUD. EDUC. 1 (with R. Bird, JD, UConn, S. Lichtenstein, JD, & G. Ferrera, JD, Bentley College & McCallum Graduate School of Business) (2005) (lead article). 2005 Hoeber Memorial Award, Outstanding Article in the Journal of Legal Studies Education (SoTL).
- A Glass Half Full? Enduring Small Business Frustrations Under the Consumer Review Fairness Act of 2016, 50 Bus. L. REV. 1 (lead article - 2017).
- Cloutier v. Costco: The Church of Body Modification and Rising Legal Challenges to Body Art Work Rules as Religious Discrimination, 39 BUS. L. REV. -- (forthcoming 2006).
- Too Few Notes? Digital Sampling and Fragmented Literal Similarity in Newton v. Diamond, 38 BUS. L. REV. 141 (2005).
- Safety First! Massachusetts Takes Another Look at Employee Drug Testing, 28 BUS. L. REV. 69 (1995). New Rule 16: Settling the Debate Over Mandatory Summary Jury Trials, 27 BUS. L. REV. 43 (1994).
- Guiney v. Police Comm’r of Boston: Marching to the Beat of a Different Drummer on Random Drug Testing, 25 BUS. L. REV. 133 (1992).
- Bentley College 1992 Publication Award, Excellence in a Published Manuscript. Policy of Docking Employees' Pay Can Be A Costly Decision: Abshire v. County of Kern, 24 BUS. L. REV. 115 (1991).
- Coming Attractions: Opportunities and Challenges in Thwarting Global Movie Piracy, (AM. BUS. L. J. version), reprinted in, COPYRIGHT PIRACY – ISSUES AND IMPLICATIONS 199-241 (The Icfai University Press (Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India), Amicus Books 2009-2010).
- Coming Attractions: Opportunities and Challenges in Thwarting Global Movie Piracy, (APA version), reprinted in, THE GLOBAL CHALLENGE OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, Ch. 4 (Robert Bird & Subhash C. Jain eds., Elgar Publishing 2009).
- The Warez Scene: Digital Piracy in the Online World, in Crimes of the Internet, ch. 19, 384-407 (Schmalleger & M. Pittaro eds. 2008).
- DAVID LEVINE, DONALD L. DOERNBERG & MELISSA L. NELKEN, CIVIL PROCEDURE ANTHOLOGY 492-495 (Anderson Publishing Co. 1998) excerpting, Putting Mandatory Summary Jury Trial Back on the Docket: Recommendations on the Exercise of Judicial Authority, 63 FORDHAM L. REV. 1069 (March 1995).
- E. WENDY TRACHTE-HUBER & STEPHEN K. HUBER, ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION, STRATEGIES FOR LAW AND BUSINESS 932-934 (1996 Anderson Publishing Co.) excerpting, Putting Mandatory Summary Jury Trial Back on the Docket: Recommendations on the Exercise of Judicial Authority, 63 FORDHAM L. REV. 1069 (March 1995).
- MICHAEL B. KELLY & LUCILLE M. PONTE, CONTRACT LAW IN FOCUS, TEACHER'S MANUAL AND SLIDES (Wolters Kluwer 2017) (with Michael B. Kelly, Professor of Law, University of San Diego School of Law).
- LUCILLE M. PONTE & THOMAS D. CAVENAGH, CYBERJUSTICE : ONLINE DISPUTE RESOLUTION FOR E-COMMERCE, Instructor’s Manual, CD-ROM, and Test Bank (Prentice Hall 2005).
- LUCILLE M. PONTE & THOMAS D. CAVENAGH, ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION IN BUSINESS, Instructor’s Manual (West Educational Publishing 1999).
- THE STUDY GUIDE FOR THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS BY E. CONRY, G. FERRERA & K. FOX (Allyn & Bacon, Third Edition, 1993).
- New Federal Law Protects Consumer Online Reviews, 2 Attorney At Law Magazine 6 (Oct. 2017).
- It Wasn't Me: How Marketing Strategies and Business Models Sunk Peer-to-Peer Technologies in Grokster, LegalZoom, at http://www.legalzoom.com (2005).
- Lay Claim to Your Domain: Resolving Domain Name Disputes Online, LegalZoom, Nov. 2004, at http://www.legalzoom.com/articles/article_content/article10752.html.
- The Brave New World of Online Dispute Resolution (ODR), 5 ADR in Bus. Newsletter 3-4 (Spring 2001).
- Australia Looks to ADR in Court Reform Efforts, 3 ADR in Bus. Newsletter 2 (Spring/Summer 1999).
- Issues of Fundamental Fairness in Recent Challenges to Arbitration of Statutory Rights, 3 in the Alternative, Alternative Dispute Newsletter 2 (January 1997) (by invitation).
- Equality: Don't Go Back to Separate and Unequal, Richmond Times-Dispatch, Jan. 3, 1996, at A11.
- Mandatory ADR Okay Under Revised F.R.C.P. 16, Alternatives (Center for Public Resources (CPR) Institute for Dispute Resolution), Sept. 1995, at 115 (by invitation).
- Business Law Review, North Atlantic Edition Editorial Board (blind peer-review regional journal)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association Quarterly Journal Editorial Board (appointed for three-year term - 2014-17)
- SEALS Distance Learning Committee
- SEALS New Scholar Mentor
Bar Admissions and Certifications
- United States District Court (MA)
- United States Court of Appeals (1st Circuit)
- Certificate in Mediation (MA)