As indicated in the Student Handbook , all Florida Coastal School of Law students are required to complete and file a Student Application for Florida Bar Character and Fitness Clearance in their first semester. Failure to file a Student Application to the Florida Bar within 180 days of matriculation or apply for a waiver within 120 days will result in a registration hold on the student’s account.
The Character and Fitness Application must be completed through the Florida Bar Website. Make sure you look at: "Checklists, Forms, Study Guide and Information" on the left hand side. Once in this link choose "Register as a First Year Student."
Gathering the Information for the Application
See the Library's Florida Bar Character and Fitness Information LibGuide. For additional questions, please contact The Florida Bar at 850-457-1292.
Important Dates for Fall 2015 New Students
- January 1, 2016 – Last day to apply for an exemption from the Florida Bar Character and Fitness Clearance requirement.
- January 15, 2016 - Last day for the lowest price for registration from the Florida Bar Examiners.
- February 20, 2016 – Last day to provide the letter from the Florida Bar Examiners that your application has been received. Failure to submit the letter by this date will result in a hold on your student account. Please note that it can take 4-5 weeks to receive this letter from the Florida Bar Examiners.
Important Dates for Spring 2016 New Students
- May 20, 2016 – Last day to apply for an exemption from the Florida Bar Character and Fitness Clearance requirement.
- June 15, 2016 - Last day for the lowest price for registration from the Florida Bar Examiners.
- July 23, 2016 – Last day to provide the letter from the Florida Bar Examiners that your application has been received. Failure to submit the letter by this date will result in a hold on your student account. Please note that it can take 4-5 weeks to receive this letter from the Florida Bar Examiners.
Extensions or Waivers to the Requirement
If you need to file for an extension or waiver, log into Symplicity using your school e-mail username and password then click on the Survey tab. Select the Character & Fitness Clearance survey and submit after you have completed the questions. Once your request has been reviewed, you will be contacted to set up a face-to-face meeting. It will take approximately 5-7 business days for your request to be processed and reviewed.
Proof of Completed Application
The Florida Bar will send you a letter that indicates your completed application has been received. Bring the original letter Ron Talone in the Center for Student Advising, Suite 180 or scan the letter and send it to CSA@fcsl.edu.
MorphoTrust USA must be used for the fingerprinting requirement. Click on the link to schedule an appointment. The cost is approximately $57.00.
All Notaries require a government issued picture ID and that paperwork is complete except for your signature. Currently the following individuals in the building are Notaries. They accept notary requests during the following times and by appointment ONLY:
Cleopatra Smith (Clinic) – Monday through Friday: 8:30am-5:30pm.
Mary Ebbinghouse (Deans' Suite) – As available, 9:00am-noon and 2:00pm-4:00pm.
Stephanie Hughes (Library Room 348) - Monday through Friday: 9:00am-3:30pm and by appointment.
There are additional notaries available at the SYNC desk during various hours. Please stop by or call to see if a notary is available at SYNC.
The following banks offer complimentary notary service:
Suntrust: 9250 Baymeadows Road, (904) 731-5708.
Fifth Third Bank: 9716 San Jose Blvd., (904) 486-1923.
Chase Bank: 7301 Baymeadows Way, (904) 296-1021.
Bank of America (for account holders only): 9225 Baymeadows Road, (904) 731-4600.