Non-Judicial Externships

General Information

In an externship placement, students can earn between three and six credits while working under the supervision of an attorney in either a public or governmental agency, a not-for-profit corporation, or a corporate law department. With the exception of environmental law and sports law externships, credit is not allowed for working in a private law firm or office. The number of hours one must work depends on the number of credit hours. For each of the first four credit hours you must work 45 hours at your placement during the semester. Additional credit hours require 50 hours of work. So for instance, if you are enrolled for three hours of credit, you must work a total of 135 hours during the semester; for six hours a total of 280. In addition, you must attend a classroom component that meets weekly during the semester and involves written assignments that allow you to reflect upon your work. Pursuant to the Student Handbook, during your matriculation at FCSL, you are limited to 12 credit hours stemming from in-house clinics or externships. Click here to see the externship credit hours breakdown. 

Questions concerning Externships may be directed to the Center for Professional Development at


Externship Placements Available Most Semesters 

The list below is not exhaustive and in the past, students have, on their own, secured placements at other agencies or corporations. A comprehensive list can be found in the Externship Handbook released for each semester. A copy of the handbook can be obtained from the Center for Professional Development, Suite 180. Each position will have a seperate application on Symplicity with requirements and preferences.

  • Office of the United States Attorney
  • Office of the Federal Defender
  • United States Probation Office
  • 4th Circuit State Attorney's Office
  • 7th Circuit State Attorney's Office
  • 8th Circuit State Attorney's Office
  • 4th Circuit Public Defender Agency
  • 7th Circuit Public Defender Agency
  • Office of Regional Conflict Counsel
  • State Attorney's Office
  • Public Defender Agency
  • Georgia Capital Defender's Office
  • St. John's County Attorney's Office  
  • Nassau County Attorney's Office
  • Fernandina Beach City Attorney's Office
  • Jacksonville Area Legal Aid
  • Three Rivers Legal Services
  • Office of Family Court Services  
  • Florida Department of Children and Families
  • 4th Circuit Office of Guardian Ad Litem
  • The Department of Housing and Urban Development  
  • IRS Office of General Counsel
  • Jacksonville Human Rights Commission
  • City of Jacksonville Ethics Commission
  • City of Jacksonville Ombudsman Office
  • Fidelity National Corporation
  • U.F. Shands Jacksonville  
  • The Main Street America Group
  • Pacer Intl. Inc. 
  • The Wounded Warrior Project
  • Florida East Coast Railway
  • Winn-Dixie/Bi-Lo 
  • The Regency Group

If you discover an opportunity for an externship with an office or agency that is not listed above, you should discuss it with a Center for Professional Development Externship Supervisor.  They will speak to the supervising attorney before approving the placement for credit.  Often there are additional placment opportunities, some of which are not available every semester.

The 4th Judicial Circuit, State Attorney's Office require students with a CLI and the 4th Judicial Circuit, Public Defender's Office prefer students who are qualified for a CLI. Information about such is contained under the Clinical Programs link. Even if a CLI is not required for a placement, the experience will be much richer if a student can be certified.


Long Distance Placements 

While the need to take additional classes here on campus during the regular fall and spring semesters normally limits the geographical scope for a placement, the same is not true during the summer. Students have secured placements in various agencies across the State of Florida and across the country. Students who intend to practice away from Jacksonville are encouraged to seek an externship placement in the area where they intend to practice. These placements must be approved by the Center for Professional Development prior to the beginning of the summer semester.

For more information pick up the handout "Externships Back Home" in the Clinic Office, Room 255.

To request an externship, please fill out the "Student Found Externship" survey on Symplicity.


Environmental Law and Sports Law Externships 

Environmental law externships are available for students earning a certificate in Environmental Law. Interested students should contact Professor Eric Hull.

Sports law externships are available for students earning a certificate in Business Law. Interested students should contact Professor Roger Groves.