At Coastal Law, we are committed to providing hands-on opportunities for students to acquire real world skills in a variety of high demand practice areas. Whether serving Jacksonville’s indigent community in a live-client legal clinic or gaining experience through internship, externship or clerking positions advertised in our online career center (Symplicity), practical legal experience can provide a healthy competitive edge when job searches begin. Coastal Law recommends students acquire at least 400 hours of legal work experience while in school.
All clinics and externships qualify toward the mandatory six credits of experiential learning (three of which must be in a clinic or externship). A student may take up to fifteen credits of Experiential Learning courses at Coastal.
Our Fall 2018 mini handbook is available for your review - Fall 2018 Mini Handbook!
In addition, the following simulation courses can count for three of the mandatory six credits:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (2 credits) - Every Fall & Spring
- Appellate Advocacy (3 credits) - Every Fall
- Environmental Law Practice and Procedure (2 credits) - Every Fall
- Family Law Mediation (2-3 credits) - Every Fall
- Intellectual Property Licensing (2 credits) - Every Spring
- Interviewing and Counseling (1-2 credits) - Every Fall & Spring
- Trial Practice Workshop for Mock Trial (2 credits) - Every Fall
- Trial Practice and Trial Practice Lecture (3 credits combined) - Every Fall & Spring
- Trusts and Estates Drafting Simulation (2 credits) - Every Fall & Spring
Ericka Curran, Clinical Director
Cleo Smith, Clinical Coordinator
Please stay in touch on Facebook!