At Florida Coastal School of Law, we are committed to providing hands-on opportunities for students to acquire real-world skills in a variety of high demand practice areas. Whether serving Jacksonville’s indigent community in a live-client legal clinic or gaining experience through internship, externship or clerking positions advertised in our online career center, a practical legal experience can provide a healthy competitive edge when job searches begin. Coastal Law recommends students acquire at least 400 hours of legal work experience while in school.
All clinics and externships qualify toward the mandatory six credits of experiential learning (three of which must be in a clinic or externship). A student may take up to fifteen credits of Experiential Learning courses at Coastal.
Details can be found in the Spring 2019 Mini Handbook and the Summer & Fall 2019 Mini Handbook.
In addition, the following simulation courses can count for three of the mandatory six credits:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (2 credits)
- Appellate Advocacy I (2 credits)
- Appellate Advocacy II (1 credit)
- Environmental Law Practice and Procedure (2 credits)
- Interviewing and Counseling (1-2 credits)
- Trial Practice Workshop for Mock Trial (2 credits)
- Trial Practice and Trial Practice Lecture (3 credits combined)
Ericka Curran, Clinical Director
Cleopatra Smith, Clinical Coordinator
Please stay in touch on Facebook!