Rule of Law Expertise (ROLE) UK is seeking candidates to undertake a review, learning exercise, and analysis of four sample assignments that it has supported in Sierra Leone and Kenya for approximately 30 days between June and August 2016. The review and learning exercise will capture progress and outcomes of the assignments to further strengthen the ongoing implementation of the program and include travel to Sierra Leone and Kenya as well as desk work. Please see the attached terms of reference for more information.
The ROLE UK program is a DFID-funded initiative launched in 2015 that is designed to support the rule of law internationally by harnessing the skills of UK legal and judicial sector to provide pro bono assistance to DFID’s 27 priority countries.
The consultant will work closely with ROLE UK and provide a constructive critique that:
- Outlines findings in relations to the outcomes of its work to date;
- Provides recommendations on ways in which the program could be adapted to strengthen the impact of pro bono technical assistance;
- Provides evidence and analysis in relation to the program’s overall theory of change
The consultant will examine issues such as: to what extent have assignments supported by ROLE UK contributed to changes in policy or law; what adaptations could be made to the ROLE UK model in order to strengthen its impact and value; and how best can ROLE UK continue to monitor and evaluate the value and impact of its work.
The process will include: meetings in London with ROLE UK staff to clarify the objectives and final report; desk-based preparation; meetings with the ROLE UK Board, DFID, and UK legal and judicial experts; field work in Kenya and Sierra Leone; desk-based reviews of other assignments; a final report submitted to ROLE UK by August 19th.
· Experience in reviewing or evaluating rule of law/governance programs
· Strong understanding of legal and judicial pro bono work
· Ability to produce well-written reports and demonstrate excellent analytical skills
Applications to be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please also CC Khalil.Ali@americanbar.org) by midnight (UK time) onThursday 19th May 2016 with the subject line ‘Review and learning exercise’ and to include:
- CV(s) of the consultant(s)
- Proposal paper outlining:
· the consultant(s)’ suitability to undertake this work and how they meet the required competencies
· An indicative timeline and methodology (including identification of key risks associated with the delivery of the exercise, and how they will be mitigated)
· Proposed costings (in pound sterling) – a quotation expressed as a gross figure and providing a breakdown of consultants’ daily rate(s) and estimates for all applicable costs including taxes, travel costs (economy class air travel applies), accommodation, communications etc.
· An example of previous written work
· Names of two references