Professor of Law
- Member of Massachusetts, United States District Court (MA), United States Court of Appeals (1st Cir.) bars
- Served as in-house counsel for technology firms and governmental agencies in Boston, MA and Washington, D.C.
- Negotiated complex commercial agreements and handled broad range of internal legal matters, including products liability and employment issues.
- Intellectual Property
- Alternative and Online Dispute Resolution (ADR/ODR)
- Employment Discrimination.
- B.A. University of Massachusetts (Boston), summa cum laude;
- J.D. New England School of Law, cum laude
- Certificate in Mediation (MA).
TEACHING and SCHOLARSHIP
- Contracts I
- Contracts II
- Law of Information Technology (Cyberlaw)
- Member of MA bar
- Associate member of Jacksonville Bar Association and Florida Bar Association
- External Advisory Board Member, Bentley College Global Cyberlaw Center
- FCSL Committees: Admissions Committee; International Programs; Professionalism Task Force; Faculty Scholarship; ALWR Initiative and Copyright Policy Working Groups.
LUCILLE M. PONTE & THOMAS D. CAVENAGH, CYBERJUSTICE: ONLINE DISPUTE RESOLUTION FOR E-COMMERCE (Prentice Hall 2005)
LUCILLE M. PONTE & THOMAS D. CAVENAGH, ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION IN BUSINESS (West Educational Publishing 1999)
- Book Chapters Coming Attractions: Opportunities and Challenges in Thwarting Global Movie Piracy, (APA version), reprinted in, THE GLOBAL CHALLENGE OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS (Elgar Publishing, forthcoming December 2008).
- DAVID LEVINE, DONALD L. DOERNBERG & MELISSA L. NELKEN, CIVIL PROCEDURE ANTHOLOGY 492-495 (Anderson Publishing Co. 1998) excerpting, Putting Mandatory Summary Jury Trial Back on the Docket: Recommendations on the Exercise of Judicial Authority, 63 FORDHAM L. REV. 1069 (March 1995).
- E. WENDY TRACHTE-HUBER & STEPHEN K. HUBER, ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION, STRATEGIES FOR LAW AND BUSINESS 932-934 (1996 Anderson Publishing Co.) excerpting, Putting Mandatory Summary Jury Trial Back on the Docket: Recommendations on the Exercise of Judicial Authority, 63 FORDHAM L. REV. 1069 (March 1995).
- Manuals/Guides LUCILLE M. PONTE & THOMAS D. CAVENAGH, CYBERJUSTICE : ONLINE DISPUTE RESOLUTION FOR E-COMMERCE, Instructor’s Manual, CD-ROM, and Test Bank (Prentice Hall 2005).
- LUCILLE M. PONTE & THOMAS D. CAVENAGH, ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION IN BUSINESS, Instructor’s Manual (West Educational Publishing 1999).
- THE STUDY GUIDE FOR THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS BY E. CONRY, G. FERRERA & K. FOX (Allyn & Bacon, Third Edition, 1993).
- Legal Editorials and Commentaries It Wasn’t Me: How Marketing Strategies and Business Models Sunk Peer-to-Peer Technologies in Grokster, LEGALZOOM, at http://www.legalzoom.com (forthcoming 2005).
- Lay Claim to Your Domain: Resolving Domain Name Disputes Online, LEGALZOOM, Nov. 2004, at http://www.legalzoom.com/articles/article_content/article10752.html.
- The Brave New World of Online Dispute Resolution (ODR), 5 ADR IN BUS. NEWSLETTER 3-4 (Spring 2001).
- Australia Looks to ADR in Court Reform Efforts, 3 ADR IN BUS. NEWSLETTER 2 (Spring/ Summer 1999).
- Issues of fundamental fairness in recent challenges to arbitration of statutory rights, 3 IN THE ALTERNATIVE, ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE NEWSLETTER 2 (January 1997)(by invitation).
- Equality: Don't Go Back to Separate and Unequal, RICHMOND TIMES-DISPATCH, Jan. 3, 1996, at A11. Separate but equal: for women only?, THE ROANOKE TIMES, Jan. 1, 1996, at A6.
- Mandatory ADR Okay Under Revised F.R.C.P. 16, ALTERNATIVES (Center for Public Resources (CPR) Institute for Dispute Resolution), Sept. 1995, at 115 (by invitation).
LAW REVIEW ARTICLES
- National Law Review Articles Gender Performance over Job Performance: Body Art Work Rules and the Continuing Subordination of the Feminine, 14 DUKE J. OF GENDER L. & POL’Y 319 (2007)(with Jennifer L. Gillan, PhD).
- Protecting Moral Rights in the United States and the United Kingdom: Challenges and Opportunities under the U.K.’s New Performances Regulations, 24 B.U. INT’L L. J. 213 (2006) (with R. Bird, JD, University of Connecticut).
- From Our Family to Yours: Rethinking the “Beneficial Family” and Marriage-centric Corporate Benefit Programs, 14 COLUMBIA J. OF GENDER & L. 1 (2005) (lead article with Jennifer L. Gillan, PhD, Bentley College & McCallum Graduate School of Business).
- Victims of Gender Discrimination or Disgruntled Employees? The Evolving Role of Candid E-Mails in Gender Disparate Treatment Cases, 19 WIS. WOMEN’S L. J. 47 (Spring 2004).
- The Michigan Cyber Court: A Bold Experiment in the Development of the First Public Virtual Courthouse, 4 N.C. J. L. & TECH. 51 (Fall 2002).
- Broadening Traditional ADR Notions of Disclosure: Special Considerations for Posting Conflict Resolution Policies and Programs on E-Business Web Sites, 17 OHIO ST. J. ON DISP. RES. 321 (Spring 2002).
- Boosting Consumer Confidence in E-Business: Recommendations for Establishing Fair and Effective Dispute Resolution Programs for B2C Online Transactions, 12 ALBANY L. J. OF SCI. & TECH. 441 (Spring 2002).
- Throwing Bad Money after Bad: Can Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) Really Deliver the Goods for the Unhappy Internet Shopper?, 3 TUL. J. OF TECH. & INTELL. PROP. 55 (Spring 2001).
- Reassessing the Australian Adversarial System: An Overview of Issues in Court Reform and ADR Practice in the Land Down Under, 27 SYRACUSE J. OF INT’L L. & COMM. 335 (Summer 2000).
- Resolving an Information Technology Dispute After NAFTA: A Practical Comparison of Domestic and International Arbitration, 7 TULANE INT’L AND COMP. L. J. 43 (with E. Brown, JD, Boston College)(Spring 1999).
- In the Shadow of Gilmer: How Post-Gilmer Legal Challenges to Pre-Dispute Arbitration Agreements Point the Way Towards Greater Fairness in Employment Arbitration, 12 OHIO ST. J. ON DISP. RES. 359 (1997).
- United States v. Virginia - Reinforcing Archaic Stereotypes About Women in the Military Under the Flawed Guise of Educational Diversity, 7 HASTINGS WOMEN’S L. J. 1 (Winter 1996)(lead article).
- Putting Mandatory Summary Jury Trial Back on the Docket: Recommendations on the Exercise of Judicial Authority, 63 FORDHAM L. REV. 1069 (March 1995).
- AIDS Anxiety in the Workplace: A Review of Labor Arbitration Awards, 23 SW. U. L. REV. 253 (1994).
- Guilt by Association in U.S. Products Liability Cases: Are the EC and Japan Likely to Develop Similar Cause-In-Fact Approaches to Defendant Identification?, 15 LOYOLA OF L.A. INT’L. & COMP. L. J. 629 (April 1993).
- Waldie Answered: Equal Protection and the Admissions of Women into Military Colleges and Academies, 25 N. E. L. REV. 1137 (1991).
- National Peer Review Articles (blind peer review) Coming Attractions: Opportunities and Challenges in Thwarting Global Movie Piracy, 45 AM. BUS. L. J. 331 (2008).
- The Emperor Has No Clothes: How Digital Sampling Infringement Cases Are Exposing Weaknesses in Traditional Copyright Law and the Need for Substantive Statutory Reform, 43 A.B.L.J 515 (2006).
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning/Pedagogical Articles (blind peer review) Embracing Different Learning Styles and Promoting Student-Centered Learning through an Online Dispute Resolution Simulation: The Case of the Unhappy Sports Fan, 23 J. LEGAL STUD. EDUC. 169 (2006).
- 2006 Hoeber Memorial Award, Outstanding Article in the Journal of Legal Studies Education (SoTL). Troubled Times at Upturn Records: Getting Traditional Legal Concepts to Dance to the New Online Beat, 22 J. LEGAL STUD. EDUC. 1 (with R. Bird, JD, UConn, S. Lichtenstein, JD, & G. Ferrera, JD, Bentley College & McCallum Graduate School of Business) (2005) (lead article).
- 2005 Hoeber Memorial Award, Outstanding Article in the Journal of Legal Studies Education (SoTL).
- Regional Law Review Articles (blind peer review) Cloutier v. Costco: The Church of Body Modification and Rising Legal Challenges to Body Art Work Rules as Religious Discrimination, 39 BUS. L. REV. -- (forthcoming 2006).
- Too Few Notes? Digital Sampling and Fragmented Literal Similarity in Newton v. Diamond, 38 BUS. L. REV. 141 (2005).
- Safety First! Massachusetts Takes Another Look at Employee Drug Testing, 28 BUS. L. REV. 69 (1995). New Rule 16: Settling the Debate Over Mandatory Summary Jury Trials, 27 BUS. L. REV. 43 (1994).
- Guiney v. Police Comm’r of Boston: Marching to the Beat of a Different Drummer on Random Drug Testing, 25 BUS. L. REV. 133 (1992).
- Bentley College 1992 Publication Award, Excellence in a Published Manuscript. Policy of Docking Employees' Pay Can Be A Costly Decision: Abshire v. County of Kern, 24 BUS. L. REV. 115 (1991).
- Student-Authored Law Review Article Comment, Rostker v. Goldberg: Upholding All-Male Draft Registration Plans, 18 N. E. L. REV. 239 (1982).