As indicated in the Student Handbook starting on page 51, all Florida Coastal School of Law students are required to complete and file a Student Application for Florida Bar Character and Fitness Clearance in their first semester. Failure to file a Student Application to the Florida Bar within 180 days of matriculation or apply for a waiver within 120 days will result in a hold on the student’s account.
The Character and Fitness Application must be completed through the Florida Bar Website. On the Florida Bar website, there are several useful links on the left hand side of the screen. Make sure you look at: "Checklists, Forms, Study Guide and Information." Once in this link choose "Register as a First Year Student." You may also want to look at: "Admission Requirements" and "FAQ."
Gathering the Information for the Application
See the Library Florida Bar Character and Fitness Information LibGuide. For assistance locating difficult to find information, complete this request form.
Important Dates for Fall 2013 New Students
- February 15, 2014 - Last day to provide the letter from the Florida Bar Examiners that your application has been received. Failure to submit the letter by this date will result in a hold on your student account. Please note that it can take 4-6 weeks to receive this letter from the Florida Bar Examiners.
- March 28, 2014 - The Registrar will be notified of those students who have not complied with the requirement.
Important Dates for Spring 2014 New Students
- May 27, 2014 – Last day to apply for an exemption from the Dean of Experiential Learning from the Florida Bar Character and Fitness Clearance requirement .
- June 15, 2014 - Last day for the lowest price for registration from the Florida Bar Examiners.
- July 26, 2014 – Last day to provide the letter from the Florida Bar Examiners that your application has been received. Failure to submit the letter by this date will result in a hold on your student account. Please note that it can take 4-6 weeks to receive this letter from the Florida Bar Examiners.
Proof of Completed Application
Once your application is complete, the Florida Bar should send you a letter that indicates your completed application has been received. Scan this letter into electronic format and email it to the Library by February 15th. There is a free scanner in the Computer Lab.
MorphoTrust USA must be used for the fingerprinting requirement. The cost is approximately $57.00. To schedule click an appointment, follow these instructions:
1. Please log on to www.identogo.com
2. Select the state of Florida
3. Select Online Scheduling
4. Select English or Español
5. Enter your name.
6. From the drop down menu please select “FL Board Of Bar Examiners”
7. Provide the requested information;
8. Under Step 3, click the "Pay for Ink Card Submission" button;
9. Under Step 4, complete the Personal Information;
10. Proceed through Step 6 and arrange to submit your payment to MorphoTrust USA by clicking on the "Continue to US Bank E-Pay" button.
All Notaries require the presentation of a government issued picture ID and that paperwork is complete except for your signature. Currently the following individuals in the building are Notaries. They accept notary requests during the following times and by appointment ONLY:
Brian Heath (room 302) – Unavailabe unitl April 20th - Sunday through Thursday: 5:00pm-7:30pm, and by appointment.
Cleopatra Smith (Clinic) – Monday through Friday: 8:30am-5:30pm.
Corrine Hornstein (Clinic) – When Cleopatra is unavailable, Monday through Friday: 8:30am-5:30pm.
Mary Ebbinghouse (Lobby) – As available, 9:00am-noon and 2:00pm-4:00pm.
Maureen K. Jordan (room 537) – by appointment only.
Randi L. Saunders (Dean’s suite) – By appointment only.
The following banks offer complimentary notary service:
Suntrust: 9250 Baymeadows Road, (904) 731-5708.
Fifth Third Bank: 9716 San Jose Blvd., (904) 486-1923.
Chase Bank: 7301 Baymeadows Way, (904) 296-1021.
Bank of America (for account holders only): 9225 Baymeadows Road, (904) 731-4600.