Students who fulfill requirements will have the opportunity to experience at least one of the legal work opportunities below*
*Individual opportunities are based upon availability and may vary by semester.
Students who complete the Terms and Conditions but are not able to be placed in one of the experiential learning opportunities listed above will receive $2,000 from FCSL upon the satisfaction of the degree requirements listed in the Coastal Law Student Handbook. This assurance is being made available to those full-time students beginning their studies in Spring 2013 and thereafter.
*Terms and Conditions:
- Complete a resume and cover letter and have it approved by a CSD counselor at least two weeks prior to applying to the opportunity.
- Complete a writing sample and have it approved by a legal writing specialist.
- Attend a minimum of one CSD counseling session at least two weeks prior to the first posted opportunity.
- Complete all course prerequisites particular to the legal work experience.
- Complete the online CSD 1L Curriculum – “You’re Hired” by the assigned deadline.
- Apply for Florida Character & Fitness clearance to seek Certified Legal Intern (CLI) eligibility within first 180 days of law school matriculation. In order for students to appear in certain legal proceedings on behalf of clients, The Florida Bar requires that students have obtained CLI status. Thus, even if you don’t intend to take the bar exam in Florida, you should apply for Character & Fitness clearance from The Florida Bar. Students who have transferred to Coastal Law after having completed one or more semesters at another law school must apply for Character and Fitness clearance with the Florida Bar no later than 30 days after matriculating at Coastal Law.
- Have a background acceptable for the placement – (Some placements require a background check).
- Attend the applicable clinic/externship informational session.
- Meet all deadlines pertaining to preparation, application, registration, and interviewing in order to qualify for the specific experiential learning opportunity. (Credit-bearing externship placements occur in the Spring Semester for Summer and Fall placements and in the Fall Semester for the Spring placements.)