The Academic Success Department offers a wide variety of services to help students improve their legal writing skills. During the fall and spring semesters, the department offer a selection of workshops covering many foundational writing concepts, including grammar, punctuation, style, and format. The department also offers workshops to help students prepare their Advanced Legal Writing Requirement papers. Students who feel they would benefit from more directed writing practice can enroll in the Intensive Writing Practice course. Students’ Lawyering Process I professors can select students for IWP, or students may elect to take the course and postpone Lawyering Process II until their third semester. For assistance with specific writing assignments or documents, students may schedule individual writing assistance appointments with the Writing Specialist or any of the Academic Success Counselors. Unless a student’s professor objects, counselors can discuss anything from foundational issues, like grammar, punctuation, and style, to more complex concepts, like organization, rule synthesis, and legal analysis.
FOR ALL WRITING APPOINTMENTS
Please fully read and follow all of the requirements below.
- E-mail the document to the professor by noon the business day before the meeting.
- In the e-mail, identify any specific questions or sections you would like the professor to address during your meeting.
- The professor will not review your entire document.
- Before you submit your document for review, you must edit it to the best of your ability.
- If the document is for a grade,
- your meeting must be at least 48 hours before the assignment is due, and
- you must confirm that your professor does not object to you meeting with someone in Academic Success.
- Bring a paper or electronic copy of your document to the meeting so you can take notes. The professor will not give you an edited copy of your document.
- If you cannot make the appointment, please cancel as soon as possible so other students may use the time slot.
Please Note: Academic Success advice does not replace or override the instructions of your other professors. If you are in doubt as to the appropriateness of a suggestion, consult the appropriate professor.